Shark Cage Diving & Viewing Full Day Tour
Through the ages, the Great White Shark has stirred up emotions of fear and fascination. We invite you to join us on an expedition into this noble savage's world. You could get close and personal in the cage or enjoy the experience from the deck of the largest and most stable boats operating from Gansbaai Harbour.
Minimum 2 passengers.
- Depart: 06h00
- Return: 17h00
- Early collection at your suite or villa en route to Gansbaai
- Full continental breakfast, overview of day and safety briefing
- Launch from Gansbaai Harbour
- Anchor near Shark Alley and start shark cage diving
- Spend apprxomimately 5 hours out at sea to enjoy the interaction with one of nature's most awesome and revered predators
- Viewing of Great White Sharks, seals, various bird life and whales in season
- Return to Gansbaai harbour
- Lunch and viewing of DVD of the day's events
- Handing out of dive certificates to cage divers
- Return to Cape Town
Price: R1,500 (per person)
- Collection and drop-off from your suite or villa around Cape Town, transport in luxury air-conditioned vehicle, continental breakfast on arrival, equipment on boat, snacks on boat, lunch and soft drinks. The boat is operated by Unreal Dive Expeditions.
- DVD of the day. Surcharges may apply to collection and drop-off points outside of Cape Town.
The great white has always instilled in me a sense of fear and awe in equal measure. Shark attacks worldwide make sensational headlines and result in a great public outcry to make the beaches safer for us humans. We are bombarded with fearsome great white shark pictures displaying great white sharks as devils of the deep. Some go as far as to demand retribution which sometimes culminates in a shark killing frenzy.
My view is that great whites are operating naturally in their environment and probably not deserving of their terrible reputation. It is we humans that are encroaching on their environment. With this in mind, I decided to learn more about the great white shark. My first step was to go shark cage diving in Gansbaai. Now cage diving might not appeal to everybody, as facing the great white through steel bars is probably not for the faint hearted. I was however committed to overcome my fears and give the great white the benefit if the doubt.
I booked my cage diving... I was picked up early one morning and together with my fellow passengers headed out to Gansbaai on our great white shark adventure. On our arrival in Gansbaai we were treated to breakfast and given a safety briefing. Those who did not want to do cage diving were given the option of viewing the great white from the safety of the boat.
In our party were guys who had done a number of shark dives before. They assured us that white shark cage diving was very safe and that the great white was a docile creature. Yeah right! Nonetheless, I put on a brave face as we headed out to sea. We parked near to what was commonly known as shark alley. Time to face my fear...
I climbed into the shark cage which was already in the water. I did not have time to settle, when out of the blue, this huge white shark elegantly glided towards me. My fear was overtaken by awe and admiration as the great white neared the shark cage. This white shark did not appear to be the demon of the deep â€“ rather, it seemed to be as curious as I was. My time in the shark cage seemed too short. But I felt I had somehow connected with this fearful predator called the great white. I think that by the time we headed back to the shoreline of Gansbaai, my attitude and that of my fellow shark cage divers toward the great white shark had changed from fear to respect and admiration.
I urge you to head out to Gansbaai and do shark cage diving. Your interaction with the great white will live with you forever.
(Greg Smith – USA)